Thursday, January 13, 2011

Random Thoughts

First of all let me start by saying I will post on Braden's birthday after all the festivities are over. But for now I have just a few random thoughts. **On Tuesday Dan's mom, Anne, and Ron came down from Logan to give Braden his birthday present. We let him open it before Dalin came home from school so he had a little bit of individualized time with grandma and grandpa. He got a red Hummer that pulls a boat on a trailer and a yellow canoe on top, complete with little guys that can hold the oars and little fishing pole. He LOVED it. But the moment Dalin came home guess who desperately wanted the red truck? The keyword here is RED. If anything is red, then it's immediately noticed and wanted by Dalin. Red is his favorite color and he's not shy about letting you know it. Well later in the day after all the excitement died down and Dan was at work and grandma and grandpa left the boys and I were just sitting in the living room playing. Braden brought the red Hummer out of his room into the living room and started to play with it. Dalin thought this to be totally unacceptable and ran over and took it from him. He said, "no Braden, you can play with the boat the red truck in mine!" Well, at this point I took the truck from Dalin, gave it back to Braden and explained to Dalin that the truck is Braden's, that he got it for his birthday and could play with it whenever he wanted. Then I told Dalin that his birthday is coming up and he would get lots of fun new toys to play with that would be his and also reassured him that we would share the truck and that he would get a turn with it. This, of course did not make him feel better because he wanted the truck out of Braden's hands, NOW! So he sat by me on the couch and whimpered and cried while Braden played with the truck. I kept telling him if he wanted to go play he could get another truck (we have a million of them) but he wanted that truck. Finally Braden looked up with those big blue eyes, picked up the truck and set it in Dalin's lap and said, "Here you go Dalin, you can play with it" My heart just about melted. What a nice little brother Braden was at that moment and I let him know it. Dalin of course was delighted and they figured out a way to play together with Dalin driving the truck and Braden driving the boat. **On another note Dan interviewed at the University of Utah School and Medicine this past Monday. I hope he gets in, but I'm not banking on it...don't want to get my hopes up and have the dashed so I'm trying not to worry about it. But even if he doesn't he has more interviews coming up. In fact it's getting a bit stressful trying to fit them into a schedule with work and family (baby's coming end of Feb.). Plus the cost of travel and time off work. I just have to keep taking deep breaths. He has 3 more interviews coming up. Next Friday he's at Midwestern, University in Phoenix, then the following week he's at Drexel University in Philidelphia, then end of February he's back to OHSU in Portland. That's 5 total interviews so far so he bound to get into one of them. Most people don't get this many interviews so I'll take that as a good sign. We'll here from U of A any day now and U of U will be sending out their letters on March 31. It's torture to have to wait so I have to stay busy and keep my mind off it. Of course once the baby is here I will have a fully functioning body again and can be a bit more active with the boys. It's really hard to get down on the floor with them and play so that's a bit frustrating but it will all be over soon - 6 weeks left till little guy is here and I can't wait. I'm convinced bodies were not designed to be shared, I don't care what anyone says.

2 comments:

Zane, Fallon,Taden,Damian and ? said...

I totally know what you mean about Dalin and Red! Taden is the same way with the color YELLOW! And his little brother Damian always ends up sharing with his big brother! Good luck on all the interviews. Hopefully he will get accepted to all of them and you guys can choose where you want to go! Keep us posted!

Rachel said...

I can't believe you only have 6 weeks left!! It goes by so fast when it's someone else pregnant. You aren't big enough to be that far along. -let us know what happens with Dan's interviews.