Friday, March 5, 2010
Apple Dip
I have discovered a whole new way to eat apples. I've always liked apples, but didn't really go out of my way to eat them. If it's there I'll eat it, but sometimes not. Last night I went to the store at 11:00pm to get apples. Why? Because lately apples are a treat. I have discovered apple dip. Not your typical store bought apple dip. Personally I think store bought apple dip is gross and won't eat it. It's way to......sticky? I don't know if that's the right word, but I don't know how else to explain it. I just don't like it. Lately I've been making my own homemade apple dip and it's heavenly. I found the recipe while digging through all of my mom's old recipe books. I was trying to find new exciting recipes to try because I'm sick of eating the same things all the time. I refuse to waste money on a recipe book, although I used all of my mom's so I guess it wouldn't be a waste. The problem is there's usually three or four really good recipes in an entire book and the rest are a waste. Kind of like buying a CD for one song that you really like, but the rest of the songs are crap. Everyone out there should give this recipe a try. It's so fast and easy you can make it in less than 10 minutes. Here it is:
1 cube butter
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup karo syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
Cook in microwave for 2 minutes. Stir, and cook 2 minutes more. Stir and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
That's it!!! It's the best, so give it a try and you'll never eat apples without it. I usually refrigerate it for a while after I've cooked it until it's harder and more like a store bought dip's consistency. Then it's not so runny. But I have eaten it right after I've cooked it too and it's still good, but it drips off the apple and makes a mess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I also like that recipe. Your mom gave it to me (or one very similar) one year because I wanted to use it at the Halloween party. It really is super yummy and so less messy than melting real caramels and stuff.
We've been eating apples as a snack before we go to bed. This could be a nice little change of pace there.
OOooh, I will definitely HAVE to try this recipe! It sounds de-lish!! :) I finally started a blog (like we had discussed in the computer lab, haha) and I am secretly obsessed with it, yay! Your blog is super cute! You'll have to check out mine too, and we can be blogging buddies! Are you going to school fall semester?
Post a Comment