Thursday, October 22, 2015
Broken Elbow
On the night of October 22 I went out to play basketball. I have found a group of women here in Twin who play twice a week and boy is it fun. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and I love the exercise. On this particular evening as I was running down the court I was tripped up and went down with both my arms extended. I landed on my left palm first and then kind of rolled and hopped up. I didn't feel immediate pain, but more uncomfortable and I noticed right away that I could't straighten my arm all the way. I kept on playing for another forty minutes or so, but as I played it started to hurt a little more. Then I couldn't catch the ball at all with that left arm or I did feel strong shooting pain. Finally, I knew something was wrong and had to stop playing. As I headed out to my car my arm started to really hurt and if I moved it or bent it at all it would seize up and then the pain would hit. Blinding, horrible, can't talk or think kind of pain. I got home around midnight and told Dan, who I had to wake up, that I think I had really hurt myself. He told me to go to the ER, but I thought I could wait until morning and see how it was feeling. I didn't want to pay an ER bill. But as I got in the shower and realized there was no way my shirt was coming off because, by this point, I really couldn't move my arm at all or I would experience blinding pain. Dan managed to get it off without killing me and I took my shower, with the pain getting worse and worse with a more constant throbbing. I knew after the shower I needed to go to the ER. Since it was so late I made Dan stay home with the kids rather than wake them up or wake up a neighbor to watch them. I went to the ER and it was confirmed I had broken the radial head. Since I had driven myself to the hospital they couldn't give me the stronger pain killers or I wouldn't be able to drive myself home so I lay there in pain. Then the nurse came in to set the elbow. WORSE. PAIN. EVER. I have never had pain like that in my entire life. It gave me a new understanding of how Braden felt when he broke his arm and was freaking out when the nurse tried to twist it when doing the x-ray. They had to pin me down in order to get that elbow at a 90 degree angle because it hurt so badly. Finally, they sent me home with those lovely pain killers in hand and the moment I got home I took them. Lots of them. And some muscle relaxants. The combination of the two made me slightly psychotic, but oh so nice to feel like that. Needless to say I have discovered that the muscle relaxants are a no-no for me. Broken elbow is now on the mend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment