Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The 4th

Well the 4th was a bummer for us. I had planned on taking everyone to the fairgrounds where they were going to have a rodeo and then a firework show after, but about 7:00 Dalin started getting really fussy and I could tell he didn't really feel very good. I took his temperature and he was burning up so I took him outside where it was nice and cool and we sat on the lawn for a little while and read some books. However, the neighbors have a two-year-old so they were lighting fireworks around 7:30. Nothing big, you know, just the store bought kiddy ones. Well, Dalin got curious, so over he goes but just as he gets to the sidewalk the firework starts in on an ear piercing screech. Well that did it! He freaked out and started screaming, not crying, screaming. So I brought him in the house and tried to put him to bed. But of course everyone in the neighborhood is doing fireworks now and he can still hear them so he's still crying. So I basically had to hold him until after 1:00 in the morning when the fireworks finally stopped. Not even the medicine I gave him would put him out. Then he woke up 4 times that night crying. So the 4th simply freaked out Dalin and then gave him nightmares. It was a fun time. But the day wasn't a complete waste. We took Braden for his first ride in the bike stroller and he loved it. Dalin wants to go for a bike ride almost everyday. This morning he woke up and the first thing he said to me was "bike ride". It's very cute. Plus Dalin and I played our own little version of pool ball. That was fun too. Dalin is a really good shot. If you'll notice in one of the pictures I'm standing on the opposite side of basket. Dalin can shoot the ball from there and make it most of the time. Well, I hope Dalin gets over his fear of fireworks, but somehow I doubt that will be anytime soon!
If you ever want to buy some great fireworks come to Montana. They sell the kind that you see in the big shows to anyone. So there were lots of people out in the field in front of our house lighting those off. So I guess the night wasn't a total waste. I got to sit in my bedroom and look out the window and watch a great show as I held my wimpering child.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That is too bad that Dalin got scared. It is a little hard for a 2 year old to understand. I had to cover Bailey's ears at the Weber State Fireworks. She wanted to see them, but not hear them.

Lettie B. said...

I just found your blog. Fun. Your boys are so big! Zeke HATED the fireworks too. They scared the crap out of him. Maybe it is just a 2 year old thing. Alexander thought they were the greatest thing ever and wanted to get as close as possible to the ones we lit ourselves.