Sunday, February 15, 2009
Medical School
So this post might be really boring, but I have to talk about it, even if it's just to a computer. I have been really stressed out this week because Dan came home with a packet about applying to medical school. I looked at it and immediately began to freak out, of course I don't tell Dan this because he has enough to deal with right now. He has to write essays(which in large part determine your acceptance into med-school) and a list of his top ten schools and get letters of recommendation and have lots of job shadow hours, patient care hours, volunteer hours, etc. This all has to be done by May along with studying for his regular classes and the MCAT, which he will be taking in June. Let me just tell you, it's a lot to take in. So for the last three days I've been researching medical schools. Let's just say if he doesn't get into the UofU then I'll poop my pants because I don't want to move to Illinois, West Virginia, or anywhere else outside of Utah. I've done it for a year and have decided that I really like Utah for multiple reasons and that's where I want to be. But I'll do what I have to do because the U is really hard to get into and out of 4,000 applicants they only accept 231. But Dan is really qualified and his chances have increased significantly because he's in the post-bacc program. The U strongly encourages post-bacc students to apply. The cost of 4 years of medical school is $150-200,000. Just for anyone who doesn't know, that's a chunk of money!! Repayment schedules give you 10 years to pay off that debt after graduation and the average monthly payment is $2300. This is why I'm stressing. But we've talked to 10 or more people about how they did it and how long it took them to pay it off and how hard it was and how they managed their families and how they manged to have their wives stay home with the kids and not have to work, etc. So we've done our homework and feel very confident that this is the right choice for us. Anyways our top three choices for medical school are University of Utah, University of Colorado Denver, and Oregon Health Sciences. No other schools in the west will allow out of state students to apply so Washington, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, and all but one school in California are not even available options. That means that if Dan doesn't get into one of our three top choices then we're moving east. I'm not real excited about this thought, but you do what you have to do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh Casandra. :( That is stressful. I'm sorry. I hope things work out for you guys. That is tough.
I think about you guys a lot. Med school is tough for sure. I stress out about $350 being on my visa so I can only imagine how stressful that would be.
I just hope Dan can get in somewhere close so you can be closer to your support group. Let us know how things are progressing.
I can understand why you are so stressed! You are so strong for being able to do that and support your husband! I hope everything ends up working out! We have missed you soo much here!
Definitely stressful. finishing Medical school is a huge acheivement so I hope everything turns out ok for you all.
Post a Comment