So lately I have been completely overwhelmed and stressed out. Dan no longer has a job - not what we ever planned on. I have a part time job - not planned on either. Dan lives in Logan during the week and comes home on the weekend. The weekends are never long enough. I have the rest of the week alone with the boys and to worry about the path Dan and I have chosen. When we decided we would give medical school a try we didn't get a whole lot of overwhelming support from too many people. I think most people thought we were crazy maybe even a little fool-hearty. But we made it through the post-bacc program at Montana State-an experience I will never forget. That time in Montana made me a stronger, better person. I am a better wife and mother because of it, even though it wasn't always easy. Now we're back in Utah waiting to hear if Oregon Health and Science University is going to accept Dan into their medical school. He is number 48 on the alternate list and the list is currently on number 22. School starts on August 16 and we may not know until that day whether or not he's accepted. Dan and I have complete faith that it will work out. We hold tight to the idea that we knew way back when, that this was the right decision for us. We both, without a doubt, still believe this is what we are supposed to be doing. That doesn't make is any easier. Most people have decided that Dan has no chance of getting in, and in some cases don't want him to get in. That makes it that much harder to travel a road alone.
Now we recently found out that I am pregnant- we were VERY surprised as it wasn't completely planned on just yet. My first thought was "how am I going to do this?" Then I felt guilty because instead of worry, I should be feeling joy. We weren't going to tell people yet because we knew our situation wasn't ideal, but I decided a little support is what I needed. The first time I told people I was pregnant the response I got was "how are you going to do that?" Not exactly what I was looking for. So that night Dan left for Logan, I put the kids to bed and I sat down alone and started to cry. I cried for about two hours-I think the longest I've ever cried in my life. And then I said a prayer for help. I didn't know what else to do. Being the very independent person I am I don't like to rely on others. I can be very stubborn about it, but I know this is not something I can do alone. Well, as I lay in bed staring at the ceiling I had a thought to listen to my iPod. I love music, it's always good for the soul, so I got out my iPod and just hit play. I didn't try to find a song, but the one that came on is an older one. I remember it from my Snow College days. It changed my perspective on the whole thing, and I can now say my prayers were answered and I'm so happy that a new little life will be joining our family soon. It's due March 2, Dalin's birthday. Wondering what song I heard? It's called "I Hope You Dance" by LeeAnn Womack. Here are the words:
I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat, but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance...
I hope you dance.
I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances, but they're worth taking
Loving might be a mistake but it's worth making
Don't let some Hell bent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out, reconsider
Give the Heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance...
I hope you dance.
(Tell me who, wants to looks back on their years and wonder where those years have gone.)
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance...
DANCE!
I will not fear the mountains in my distance even though they are HUGE. I'm still worried and maybe even a little scared, but I'm going to take that leap of faith and it will work out. Thank you so much to those who do believe we can do this-even if you're not totally excited about us leaving Utah. We're not either. Thanks to those who have given us their unfailing support and love. You make our road a little easier. And a big thanks to all those who are truly excited about our new little baby, your words of support and excitement made a big difference. Thanks to baby Korbin for getting me in the baby mood. I can't wait.
5 comments:
Oh, my cute friend Casandra. I hope you know that you have my unwavering support. I know we're not living across the hall from each other these days, and don't talk much off the written words on the screen, but if you ever need anything, a phone call, a listening ear, whatever, I'm happy to help in whatever small way I can.
And, one of the favorite most reassuring things I picked up from Snow College was something Jessica used to say. "The scriptures always say 'And, it came to pass.' They never say it came to stay. And this too, shall pass." Love your guts. And, hooray for new babies! God wouldn't send them if he didn't have a plan for them. It may not be easy, but it will all work out.
We are excited for you and your ever growing family. We hope that all will be well. We can only imagine the challenge you are going through but know that there is a greater power working in your home. You are in our prayers and in our hearts.
I'm at work and almost started to cry reading that! I think we've all felt that sinking feeling before, like the world is against us.
When Alyssa and I got engaged, we got a very similar reaction. Very little support from the people closest to me! I thought about a future where I couldn't even feel welcome around my own family and my heart sank every day! I felt like it was the right decision to get civil married and stuck to my guns despite displeasure from the family. It was the right decision for US.
I admit that I worry about you. I want you to be around, close to the family so we can help you manage a busy life. I want you to be happy!! I'm sorry if I've ever contributed to make you feel that way.
Wow! That does sound quite overwhelming! But ya know what they say. . . "that which does not kill us makes us stronger." You are already a strong woman and a great mom. Good luck with the coming months.
my dear cousin. I of all people understand what its like not to have family support and a lot of scorn for my decisions. I want you to be happy. I admire the amount of faith you have. It takes a lot of emotion to get through the toughest of times. You are my dear cousin and friend and I wish I saw you more. Please let me know if you need anything. Good luck with everything. I always pray and hope for Dan and you. love you!
Post a Comment