Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Projects

Well, this year I've been really busy with several self inflicted projects, although I can't complain because it's been a lot of fun. This first one is making felt food for my boys. I've seen this around at stores and really thought it would be fun, but they're way too expensive to justify my buying them. Then I was reading my November issue of Family Fun (I get a lot of good ideas out of this magazine) and they had a cornucopia of felt food. So I jumped online and looked up the patterns and viola - felt food. I've been working almost every night since Thanksgiving on these when I didn't have anything else more important to do, while watching Jazz games or movies. As you can see it's slow going, but I'm impressed with what I've come up with so far. I have six more days to get a few more done.
My next project was to make a tree skirt for our Christmas tree. Dan and I have been married 8 1/2 years and we've never had a tree skirt, so once again I got this idea out of Family Fun and got to work. Every year we will add another had print from each of the boys and write their name and year on it. It will be a tradition to set up the tree and then add our hand print. I thought it sounded like a great idea and I'm excited to do this every year. I'm also proud of my handiwork since I've never sewed much of anything or made anything quite so crafty. Here's the boys looking at the lights after we attached the hand prints to the skirt. They really thought it was a lot of fun to put their hands on the skirt - they were such good helpers ;). Then of course there's the wrapping of presents and doing the shopping for Santa. I have really enjoyed getting ready for Christmas this year and finding things that the boys will enjoy. They love to look at all the presents under the tree and look for the ones that have their names written on them.
The boys(including my big boy Dan) and I also have made several Christmas treats. Here they are making frosting for our Christmas cookies. You'll notice they are all over the bowl, licking, drooling, and mucking in it. These treats we only for the boys and we did not share them with anyone, so don't panic we didn't share the slobber. They had a lot of fun making it themselves and being my big helpers.

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

What cute ideas!! I love that tree skirt idea..how fun! Maybe I will trace Korbin's hand now so I can do that another year. Looks like you have had a more productive Christmas season than me!

Zane, Fallon,Taden,Damian and ? said...

Great job! I love the cute food items that you have done. They turned out great. I've been working on some sewing projects of my own this year so I know what you mean when you finish something and feel so proud of yourself!! Keep up the great work and we hope you have a very merry Christmas!

Rachel said...

I'm impressed!!! You have been very busy being so crafty. Collette made my girls some felt food a couple years ago and they have loved it!! Awesome job with all your cute projects. I didn't know you were so crafty! Looks great.

Natalie said...

Hope you don't mind me checking out your blog. I love your felt food - so cute. Very crafty!!! I'll send ya and invite to my blog if you want - just email me nsteed88@yahoo.com

Melinda said...

Don't you love Family Fun? They have such great ideas. I have a pile of projects I want to do, but I'm not quite as ambitions as you. :) Everything looks great!