Saturday, May 21, 2011

Phases

Have you ever noticed how kids go through these little phases in life? Some of them are cute and quirky, others not so fun and downright anger provoking. For instance, when Dalin was about 3 1/2 he would not go to sleep unless his favorite red toy truck was on the bed beside him. That lasted about 6 months. Braden went through a little phase where he had to sleep with a bottle of Parmesan cheese. I know that one's a little weird, but don't we all do weird things sometimes? Landon, even though he's only two months old is in this little phase where he wakes up from his evening nap at 8:30 on the dot and wants to eat regardless of when he last ate. This has gone on for about a week now. The summer between Dalin's third and forth birthday he chewed on the collar of all his shirts. Some of them he chewed holes in. I was constantly having to tell him "don't chew on your shirt," or "get your shirt out of your mouth". Occasionally I would make him go topless to prevent him from ruining all of his shirts. Dalin went through another phase while I was pregnant with Landon where he would come into my room every single night and want to get into bed with me and Dan. Every single night I would have to take him back to his own room and tell him to stay in his own bed. Sometimes he'd be back in my bed ten minutes later and we'd battle back and forth a couple of times before he would stay in his own bed. Luckily this phase is over, but the last couple of weeks Braden has been getting in my bed in the middle of the night so I've had to take him back to his bed every night. This phase is very annoying and it better end soon. Last night I was too tired to deal with it and let him stay in the bed. But then I got kicked in the ribs all night and didn't sleep anyways. Braden has also been going through a spitting phase that last month or so. He's constantly spitting. He'll drop a big ol' spit wad right in the middle of the couch for instance, for no apparent reason other than to be stubborn because I told him not to do it. Needless to say he and I have been butting heads quite a bit over this phase and he spends a great deal of time in time out. He hates time out so this leads to screaming and crying and fit throwing which is no fun to deal with either. But there's no way I will allow spitting of any kind. This morning he spit in Dan's bowl of cereal and I though he would get his lights knocked out. I don't think I've ever seen Dan quite that mad before. Then again yesterday he spit in a little boys face at the park. That was quite the scene because I immediately threw him in the car and we went home. This, of course was no fun because now I have Dalin and Braden screaming in protest, but that certainly is not going to happen again. I was so embarrassed! It makes me wonder what in the world he's thinking when he's making the choice. It all makes me wonder what other little phases are going to present themselves to me.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Parmesan cheese? That is hilarious!! My Brayden is in a naughty phase right now...I hope it is short lived. :)