Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Moving On

Well, it's been too long since my last post. I'm tired, I'm stressed, and I'm sick of the rain. But Portland here we come! I better find a way to get along with rain. For those who are not updated on our situation Dan was accepted into medical school at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland. So the first week in August we will be moving. I'm not really a fan of moving. My greatest wish in life is to find a house and location that is perfect and never move again. I want to work in my own yard and make it beautiful. I want a garden with fruit trees. I want a house that I can do whatever I want to with and that is 100% mine! But I have 4 years of medical school and then 3 years residency to look forward to before any of this can be achieved. But at the end of all that I think it will be worth it. I look back with fondness on the time we spent in Montana...although I sometimes missed Utah, I did really enjoy my time there, and I miss the friends I made there. In many ways I'm excited to move to Portland, but I don't enjoy the task of finding a place to live that's going to work for everyone. Dan has a list of things he wants and I have a list of things I want and they don't always work together very well. He's worried about getting to and from school (no parking available) and I'm worried about what school my kids will go to. OHSU is downtown and so the schools in the area are not top notch. Dan would like to live by the University so he doesn't have to commute, but I would rather live in the suburbs. Dan wants to live in an apartment (they're cheaper), but I want to live in a house (not so cheap). I guess we'll have to come to some compromise. We've already worked out most of the disagreements, but still have to search for houses and then go out to Portland and look at them and agree and put money on one. Not to mention packing and organizing a move across 800 miles. I guess complaining won't get the job done, so I better just get to work.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I love Portland! It is a beautiful area with lots of things to do. I hope you can find an affordable house...I think you and the kids would be much happier there than in an apartment. Good luck with everything!