Sunday, September 18, 2011

First Day of Kindergarten

As usual I'm late in posting, but here goes anyways. Dalin started Kindergarten on September 7. He was so excited and now that he's gone for a week and is used to the schedule it's turned out great. He goes to morning Kindergarten, so the bus comes at 8:04. Then he's dropped back off at 11:42. He brought home his first packet of homework that we've been working on all weekend. He has had to practice writing his name, writing the number 1, and writing the letters m and s. S is the hard one for him so we've had to spend a little extra time on that one. The first time I told him it was time to do his homework he said, "mom, what's homework?" I guess I just assumed he knew what that was, but he's never had to do it before so it makes sense he wouldn't know. I explained it's school work that you do at home and then take back to school and he actually got pretty excited and said "I get to do school at home?" I've printed some preschool papers off a great website called education.com for Braden so we all do homework together. The first day was hard for me to let go and I did end up crying a little bit, but now I see how much he's grown and how much he's learned in so little a time and I'm glad he's going. He's made a little friend named Alan, not to be confused with Alison. Dalin said "I sit with Alison at school, but she's not my friend. Alan is my friend and he's not the same as Alison." Fun stuff...here are some pics.
Dalin is combing Braden's hair so he can be ready for school too.
His backpack is almost as big as he is, but he loves it because it's RED. (his favorite color). Getting ready to go to the bus stop. Yes he's still sucking his thumb, mostly when he's tired or nervous.
Getting on the bus. This was a hard moment.
Waiting for the bus to come with all the other kids and parents.
When he came home from school, he came off the bus crying. I asked him what happened and what the matter was and he told me that he got scared because the teachers made him get on the wrong bus and he didn't know where it was going. I asked him why he thought he was on the wrong bus and he replied it was because he was supposed to get on the red bus, not the yellow bus. Now it dawned on me that I had been telling him that his bus was the red bus. They labeled the Kidergarten buses red bus and blue bus because the numbers 198 and 134 were too hard for the little kids to remember. They have a small sticker on the bus that's red or blue, but Dalin got confused and thought the whole bus would be red, not yellow. So when they made him get on the yellow bus he got scared, thinking he was on the wrong bus and it wouldn't take him home. After a short explanation he understood and we were all cleared up and he was fine. Now it's no problem.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

It scares me how fast they grow up. I remember when he was born! Wasn't that just last year?! I am glad he is enjoying school and its probably nice to get a little break also.