Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pumpkins

This is the first time since....actually I don't think I've ever grown my own pumpkins.  But this year we did and it was so fun. All we got were three little pumpkins but we only had two plants and they didn't get enough sun so I think it turned out as a success.  The kids had tons of fun watching their pumpkins grow and Braden got so excited when they finally started to get orange.  He wanted to pick them so bad, but I made him wait until there was no more green left on them.

Here are my cute boys in front of their little pumpkin patch.
It froze hard the night of October 7 and it killed all my plants, including the pumpkins so I had Braden run out and pick them.  He was sooooo excited.  He couldn't figure out how to get them off the plant because as he stated "they have lots of pokeys". He finally came out of the shed with my trimmers in hand and got them off and brought them in.  Landon loved them.  He loved to pick them up and it was all I could do to keep him from throwing them. He calls pumpkins "monkeys"
Here they all are.
Finally it was time to carve.  What a fun tradition this has been.  My poop of a husband says "that's your thing" and won't help us, but we had fun nonetheless.  It was hard work for those little fingers to get the guts out.  That's what Braden calls the innards. 
Dalin did his all by himself with a little help with the tooth.
Braden helped me hold the knife and we carved it together. He decided what shapes to do.
Here we all are!  Landon has serious skill ;)

2 comments:

Leslee Hubbard said...

Devin doesn't get a choice when it comes to activities like carving pumpkins....haha.

Alyssa said...

That is impressive that you grew those! Good job! I have yet to even grow a mini one, and I have tried numerous years!