Wednesday, August 14, 2013

One Last Hoorah!

Summer is over and school is starting.  I wanted to do one last fun summer thing before it all ended and asked the boys what they wanted to do most.  Swimming was their answer.  Well, that's not what I expected and having no access to a swimming pool and Braden's arm still on the mend (although out of the cast and back into a splint) I decided we could go to the river and let them get wet. We woke up that morning to rain...sigh.  It's been an unusually wet end of summer and we've had thunder storms almost every night for two weeks.  The days are still hot and dry though, until now.  I can't complain, we desperately need the rain since all the reservoirs and rivers are mostly just mud puddles after a summer of record-breaking heat.  It's also been nice to get cooled off.  So I decided to break out the paint and let them make boats of wood blocks.  Dalin had mentioned doing this some time ago we never did do it so I thought at least it would distract them from the river.  We got out the hammers and screw drivers and other tools they thought were necessary and chipped a hole in the middle of the "boats" for the rocks to sit in, sanded them down, and then painted them very nicely.



They had a lot of fun and later that day, after Landon's nap, the sun came out and we headed off to the river.  They had fun floating their boats.  We tied some rope around them, put the little rock people in, and off they sailed.
Dalin made a mud volcano.







They played and played, dug and dug, got all covered in mud, and just had a lot of fun.  I'm so glad we had one last hoorah before school starts again.

No comments: