Thursday, October 28, 2010
30!
Well, today is my birthday. I'm not super excited about turning 30 this year. Where in the world did my 20's disappear to. I can tell my body is definitely in decline and I don't like that too much. Part of that is because I am pregnant and so don't sleep much at all, I am VERY uncomfortable most of the time, and I struggle to do simple things such as tie my shoes or bend over. Last night I bent over and pulled a muscle on my side, then couldn't sleep because it ached all night. I've been sleeping on the couch because it's more comfortable than my bed. Yes, that's right my bed has suddenly become horribly uncomfortable. I can lean against the back of the couch and it helps my back not hurt so bad. My pelvis aches all the time and more so when I walk too fast or go up and down stairs. We won't even go into my back pain. I used to think my parents were just complainers when they would talk about their aches and pains and now I'm coming to realize that I'm the complainer, but the aches and pains are not in your head like I used to think they were. No wonder we could never convince my parents to play smear the queer with us when we were kids. No wonder NBA player retire in their 30's. Your body simply can't take it anymore.
But as I look back on the last ten years, I realize they've been good ones. I've done so much more than I could've imagined, although it's not at all how I had them planned out when I was 20 and just starting my university career. I still haven't graduated, something I thought I would have done by the time I was 25. But then, because I've changed majors a million times, I have a much more rounded education and know so much more because I've done it the way I have. I wouldn't change that now. I married my sweetheart, which seems like ages ago. Was there ever life without Dan? I have two precious little boys that are the light of my life and one more on the way. I bought and sold a house, moved to Montana and back again, and went to school whenever I could fit it in. I am to the point in my life when I see teenagers and newlyweds and think to myself how silly they are. Was I ever that way? Yes, I believe I was and sometimes I miss being silly. I'm too responsible and grown up now to be silly.
I hope the next ten years of my life will be as fulfilling as the last.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Happy Birthday!! Don't think of yourself as being 30.. .you are now twenty-ten. :)
Happy Birthday, yesterday, friend! Since I turned 30 six months ago, I listen to Tim McGraw's "My Next Thirty Years" all the time. Suddenly takes on a whole new meaning. And, luckily, some of the discomfort will soon be a bundle of joy in your arms. :)
Post a Comment