Monday, February 10, 2014

School

So I got this crazy idea in my head that I needed to go to school and finish my degree.  I'm not sure why I felt like this (I hope nothing is going to happen to Dan) but I did.  So I applied to Utah State because they have an online program and Weber State does not.  That way no matter where we live or go I can still finish school.  I have everything set up and ready to go, and I'm taking a full-time load of 12 credits.  School has seemed like an endless process to me.  Needless to say life is a little crazy right now.  I'm still working weekends, but at least I can do some homework while I'm at work especially on those grave yard shifts.  I've been in charge of Braden's class parties this year and it seems like we have one every dang week.  Dalin and Braden are playing indoor soccer on Tuesday and Thursday evenings as well as Saturdays.  Dalin has vision therapy every Tuesday afternoon in Roosevelt, a 30 minute drive one-way. Not to mention helping Dalin and Braden with their homework and getting a decent dinner on the table each night. Dan is not only working his regular job with the Tribe, but is also tutoring on the side to earn some extra cash.  He's gone some evenings until 9:00 or 10:00, which leaves me to get the kids to bed every night (the extra cash is really nice though).  I also have to watch Downton Abbey and Sherlock every Sunday night (Hahaha....I say HAVE to).  So yeah, life's is a little crazy, but so far I've maintained my 4.0 GPA.  We'll see at the end of the semester if it stays that way.  I have really enjoyed what I'm learning so far this semester and feel like it's all great stuff that applies to my life.  My Family Finance class is fantastic (We'll be millionaires by the time we're 65-not kidding, I'm serious).  And I was just reading a little out of my Understanding Abuse and Neglect text book and came across something that really stuck out to me.  If you're a mother or even father out there struggling with the concept of caring for your children and feeling like you don't matter read this:

Our children are victims of the increasingly prevalent view that parenting is a messy, frustrating job that gets in the way of one's own growth and life, rather than enriching it...To ask a young woman who is raising two toddlers, "But what are you doing with your life?" is to tell this mother that what she is doing-the job of parenting-is not worthy of respect.  When a culture removes status from the role of mother or father, the self esteem from assuming that role is lessened.  It is as if society is punishing parents rather than respecting them for tackling a tremendous task.  Only jobs in the "real world" seem to earn such respect.

Ever feel like you don't matter unless you have a magnificent career? I don't need a magnificent career I just need to be a better parent.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You sound very busy. I absolutely understand. It is hard to balance sometimes, huh? Sometimes I feel like I am doing a million different things but only with 50% success and nothing with 100%success. Hang in there with all you do. That's awesome you are doing school.