Saturday, August 25, 2012

Day Camp

Dan and I like to do what we call day camping.  We get up in the morning and head up to the hills and then leave that night.  It's easier than packing up all you tents and blankets and gear. All we really have to plan for is food.  

Here's a glimpse into how Dan and I work.  We decided, last minute, to do a day camp one Saturday at the end of August.  It was nice and sunny, so off we went.  While we're driving we're trying to decide where to go and both agree that we should try somewhere we've never been.  Dan suggested a place called Spirit Lake.  Well, I want to know how far it is because I don't want to drive all day, eat one meal, pack up and leave.  He says it's about 20 miles maybe a little more, but he's checked it out on a map and it's for sure no more than 30 at the most.  Spirit Lake here we come.  After driving about an hour I start in with "it's gotta be more than 20 miles."  Dan responds, "well, the road is winding around so it just seems longer."  "No, I'm sure it's longer than what you thought, because we've been in the car an hour"  It goes back and forth like this for a few minutes and then we come up to a turn in the road that's got a sign saying "turn off for Spirit Lake".  Finally!  I look behind us at the sign going to other way and there's an arrow pointing to Vernal.  70 miles!!!  Yes, we had driven 70 miles and then an additional 20 to actually get to the lake from the turn off.  All Dan could say was "that sign has got to be wrong".  I laughed and laughed. It was fun, though, and very beautiful.  The Uintahs really are amazing.  

Building a fire, Dan style.
Me and my boys.  Yes, Landon is biting a chunk out of the package of hot dogs.  He was so mad when  I tried to fish the wrapper out of his mouth.
There was this small creek right next to our camp and the boys thought they were so big to walk across the log over the river.

Even with the grumpy face, it's a beautiful picture.  He was so mad when I let go of his hand to step back and take a picture.
Then of course we had to check out the lake and the boys had to do some fishing.
They had so much fun!
Can you see Dan and Dalin in the distance?  They all love to fish.  I'm not a fan and I refuse to touch any fish, including the ones brought home.  Unfortunately, it started to rain half way through the trip, so we had to head out.  Good thing we drove 90 miles to have half a day camp!  Hahaha.  It was a fun day.

No comments: