Wednesday, August 8, 2012

King's Peak

Dan had a chance to hike King's Peak with the young men in our ward in August.  He said it's one the hardest things he's ever done.  For those of you who don't know, I didn't, King's Peak is the highest point in Utah and is also the 7th highest highpoints in the U.S.  It stands at 13, 528 feet and is nothing but boulders to the top.  The trip for Dan was a 28-mile round trip with an elevation gain of 4,100 feet in 16 miles.  That's pretty good hiking if you ask me.  Dan claims he's making me do it with him next year.  I guess I'd better get into shape because I think right now I'd probably pass out on the trail.

The picture below pretty much describes how he felt that last five miles or so to the top.  If you'll notice the boulders behind Dan, that's what King's Peak is comprised of so you actually have to climb over these big suckers to get to the top.  Dan says that's the hard part because it's easy to lose your footing and there's not really a defined trail once you get to the rocks.

But with such beautiful scenery, it's well worth the trip.  Not that I would know, I didn't do it.  But that's what Dan says.
This is his summit.  Good job Dan!  Next is Everest!

These are the only other two who actually summitted with Dan.  This kid, rocks!  What a trooper.  Unfortunately it started raining heavily right after they summitted and the rocks get very slippery when wet so coming down was slow and scarey.  They didn't get back to their base camp until after dark.  This other guy Dan was with fell and a huge boulder landed over his foot, pinning him down.  Luckily some other hikers were there to help Dan move the boulder off and he came out unscathed.  Very lucky to not have his foot crushed.
This is the view of King's Peak from their base camp.

1 comment: