Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas Memories

I've been busily wrapping presents for several days now, and doing my best to hide gifts.  I've had to put all the presents inside boxes before wrapping them this year because Landon thinks he needs to rip them all open and it's a continuous battle to keep him away from the present under the tree.  So far no one has spied any gifts, but I'm keeping my finger crossed.  I have some Santa gifts hiding in various spots and I just hope they are not found out.  Why am I telling you all this?  Because it takes me back to Christmas as a child.  I have so many fond memories I wouldn't even know where to start, but my experiences with my kids this year have taken me back to one particular Christmas.  I'm not sure exactly how old we were, but we lived on good ol' Madison Ave. and Ryan and I each had a paper route.  Sundays we needed help because the papers were too thick to fit in the bags that went over our bikes.  My parents were good enough to let us put them in the trunk of the car and they would drive us around. We would get up and put the papers together, put the rubber bands on, and throw them in the trunk and then go get one of my parents up.  It was right before Christmas and we did our usual routine and then opened the trunk of the car....then we just stood there.  The trunk was full of Christmas presents.  Oops.  Now I know I'm getting a CD player from Santa this year.  We went in to get my mom and she sleepily asked if we had all the papers in the car.  We just looked at each other and quietly said, "there's some stuff in the trunk".  Boy did that get her out of bed quick.  I'm pretty sure I heard a few choice words as she scrambled to get the stuff out of the car.  Oh, good times, they put a smile on my face.

No comments: